Friday, July 21, 2006

100 Things About Me


Here are 100 facts about me, some are quite irrelevant and others are ... different.

Want to know more about what makes Stinkypaw the gal I am? Read on!

    1. My father chose my name. He really liked this little singer from Spain, who could sing really well, in the 50s. I remember watching his movies with my dad…

    2. My blog name came about following hubby’s blog about this stink problem we’re having with our city.

    3. I was born in Chibougamau, a mining town in Northern Quebec – it takes about 8 hours to drive there from Montreal – Chibougamau, in Cree, means “meeting place” – Always thought it was a funny name for a place so far away.

    4. I grew up downtown Montreal, behind a counter: my parents owned and operated a restaurant and then a convenience store until I was 24.

    5. I asked to go to a private school where we would wear a uniform, since I wasn’t allowed to wear jeans (before I turned 18 – a dad rule).

    6. Never really been able to do a forward/backward roll… even as a kid. I always fell on the side. Weird.

    7. I love animals, always had pets. Even had a pet skunk for a while, her name was Mooky! BUT I never owned a fish!

    8. I learned to ride a bike on a boy’s model, and the seat was broken so I fell on the cross bar… I was about 5 ½ - 6 years old.

    9. That day my grand father told me “You’ve lost your cherry”… didn’t know what he meant at the time.

    10. My grandmother on my mother’s side didn’t like me that much because she didn’t approve of my father (She always said that my dad stole my mom away from them. He married her.) They/we had this love/hate relationship until she died.

    11. I am the oldest on my mother’s side; and have over 59 first-cousins on my father's side (and I know all of them!).

    12. My birthday was always celebrated with friends; as far back as I can remember.

    13. I love to read since I’ve been able to, basically. Could spend days at a book store or library.

    14. I’ve been watching, on and off, “Days of Our Lives”, since high school.

    15. Broke both wrists at the same time, during a basketball game, in high school. Had to have both arms, in casts, above the elbow for more than 6 weeks. Can you say fun?!

    16. I’ve always had a belly – it varies in size at times, but it’s always there.

    17. I love board games – my favourites are “Taboo”, “Scattergories” and “Pictionary”.

    18. I love everything that has to do with pens and school (or office) supplies.

    19. I always said that if I ever had a boy I would name him “Robin”… because of a summer love I had with a boy named Robin who passed away at 14 from an asthma attack.

    20. I almost drowned twice, in a pool: once in vacation in Lake George, and once on a school outing.

    21. I love to look at pictures. Hate it when someone flips through without “really” looking. They are meant to be looked at with attention, not flipped!

    22. Smells will often trigger my memory, and most of the time; it’s a happy thought!

    23. I have no patience… sad to say, but it’s a fact!

    24. I used to play “Yum” with my mom for hours.

    25. Don’t like to do sports where I don’t feel “grounded” (stable on my feet).

    26. I always liked older boys/men.

    27. I love to hang clothes outside to dry. I even enjoy looking at a full clothesline.

    28. Learned how to swim only a few years ago. I’ve been thinking about going back for more classes.

    29. I thought I wanted to be a criminologist in high school.

    30. I can be very “anal” for certain little details, like how one hangs clothes on a clothesline.

    31. Saved my dad’s life during a hold-up by doing a tourniquet on his arm.

    32. A few years later my mom shot a guy during another hold-up at the store.

    33. I did karate for over 20 years, taught for 10 of those. It’s because of karate that I met my husband. I was his teacher.

    34. After I finished college, I started to work full time, and never really stopped since.

    35. I’ve made many friends from all over the world, mostly through sports.

    36. My socks are folded and separated by colours in my sock drawer (same thing for my undies…) – told you I was anal…

    37. Actually, thinking about it, all my clothes are colour separated!

    38. Tried to take some night class later on, but it didn’t work out; when I learned that criminology was about “helping criminals get back into society”. I wanted to put them away for good.

    39. Through the years I’ve “cleaned up” some of my friendships. I’m choosier of my friends and of how I share my time.

    40. In the summer (or in the sun) I get freckles. Used to hate it as a kid, now I don’t mind it so much; actually think it’s cute.

    41. I think I was a dog in a previous life: I have a really good nose.

    42. My husband thinks I was a cat in a previous life: As soon as a warm ray of sun hits me I nap!

    43. I don’t like to be kissed with coffee or cigarette breath… eeewwww!

    44. Blue is my favourite colour.

    45. I love everything to do with Christmas, except the malls (or is it the shoppers?!) - I shop for Christmas all year 'round!

    46. I’m a chocolate slut! And I’m not ashamed to admit it!

    47. In my mid-twenties I applied for the RCMP, past all their tests (physical, mental, eyes, etc) and was turned down at the interview – I let the interviewer get to me…

    48. I love to drive around new neighbourhoods on a warm sunny day and watch people.

    49. I have a watch fetish – there’s no such thing as too many watches! And I like “good” watches… unfortunately.

    50. I’m a big flirt!

    51. I REALLY don’t like bugs, especially spiders!

    52. “Born to be Alive”, was the first music record I ever bought – a 45!!!

    53. Love the sound of waves either by a lake, or the ocean – it’s very soothing.

    54. I don’t drink booze at all – one Coronita every so often, and a “sweet” mixed drink but that’s about it. Just don’t like the taste.

    55. In sixth grade, I created my own “Pink Ladies” group (after watching “Grease”) and we (4 or 5 of us girls) would meet, in our basement, for our weekly meeting.

    56. I love to be barefoot, even if they’re often cold…

    57. I use a dictionary daily, especially since I’ve been blogging.

    58. I can, without any guilt, just drop everything and crash to watch a movie or something. Love to do nothing!

    59. The older I get the “girly-er” I’m becoming…

    60. I sweat very easily; don’t even need to do a lot! When I’m training simply love the feeling, but not when I’m working!

    61. I love to organize parties. I’ve been told many times I should become a party planner.

    62. Despite my many years of karate I still have feminine, callus free feet.

    63. I despise stupidity and ignorance.

    64. Everyday I laugh. By myself, with hubby, at myself, at others, but I laugh!

    65. I hate white chocolate!

    66. I must have been some kind of house pet before, because I’m a whore for caresses!

    67. I change my hair colour or a regular base, just love to change what I easily can!

    68. EVERY time I start chewing a hard shell gum I sneeze! People “tested” me, and it never fails!

    69. I love cherries so much that I could totally be in that scene from “The Witches of Eastwick”(one of my favourites) where they eat cherries like there’s no tomorrow!

    70. When thinking I often bite my nails, or play with them.

    71. Got a post card from Disney with the Disney Villains – can identified almost all of them. There are 18 of them. May not know their names, but I know in which movie they’re from.

    72. I have a morbid fascination with gory things (like accident pictures, or surgery).

    73. My parents thought I would grow up to do something in the medical field, because I’ve always been curious and used to collect sutures…

    74. Really don’t like to be introduced as a second-degree black belt, I have a name and it’s not “karate black belt”. A LOT of people do that, and I always get uncomfortable.

    75. I’m very “first impression”, and so far I haven’t been wrong often. Once my opinion is made up, good luck trying to change it.

    76. Sometimes when I look at my cat or now the pooch, I just feel like picking him/her up and squeeze. Hard. Just love those two.

    77. I often do that to my husband. Well… not the picking up part!

    78. When I’m bothered about something or wondering, I don’t keep it bottled up, I do what I call my “perception check” – I ask is something is wrong. That often throws people off because they/we are not used to being confronted. I don’t like ambivalent situation.

    79. I’m very curious about everything. If I don’t know something, I’m not afraid to ask questions.

    80. I have a VERY warp sense of humour – and EVERYTHING is a double meaning, I’m really bad for that and I just love it!

    81. I love to make up words, especially in English (not being my first language). I often get looks because of that, or people correct me. Did that in Greece once, without knowing the language... let's just say "embarassing"...

    82. I don’t really have any taboo subjects. There’s really not any one thing that I can’t talk about. I’m very open minded about everything (from food to sex, even my folks having sex!).

    83. My emotional glass is barely full, so my emotions are easily accessible, way too easy to make me angry or cry.

    84. The first movie I ever saw in a theatre, with my mother, was “Kramer vs. Kramer”

    85. First time I ever played Black Jack I won over $200.00 for a $5.00 entry bet.

    86. Even if I’ve never smoked I have always loved the smell of a fresh-lit cigarette, and even more the smell of a match (sulphur).

    87. For the last three years, I’ve been "adopting" a family (in need) at Christmas and provide them with a Christmas Basket. The goal is for them to have a good, nutritious Christmas dinner and breakfast. Each year I’ve showed up with 3 carloads with food, clothes, gifts, etc. - thanks to my friends! It a great feeling.

    88. My mind is no longer in the gutter… It has been floating in the ocean by now…

    89. I’ve been “consciously” on a spiritual path for the last 3-4 years. I’m not a religious person though.

    90. I have one tattoo. On my right cheek. I got it when I turned 25. It’s my name in Japanese and the face of a wild cat.

    91. Always said that if I ever went to Japan because of karate I would get another one. In November 1999, went to Japan for the World Karate Tournament, and when I came back I went to get the “kanku” (a karate symbol from our style) added on to what was already there.

    92. My favourite misused word is “worser”, when the worst gets worst, it has to be worser!

    93. First time I ever went to a strip club was with my parents (for both male strippers and female) – I was about 14 years old. (They'll let you in if accompanied by your parents!)

    94. If I was to get married, I didn’t want a big church wedding. Always thought it was a big show that just wasn’t for me. We got married, barefoot in the sand, on a beach in Hawaii (during a karate seminar!).

    95. The first and only time I smoke a joint was at parents house, with them. My dad had found a bit at the store and wanted to try it, so I rolled it up and we smoked it.

    96. I have a firearm and a permit for it. I was a teen when passed the tests with my mother. She didn’t want to go alone.

    97. Did I say that I don’t have any brother or sister?

    98. I always thought my dad looked like Elvis in his younger years. I think I’ve also always loved Elvis because both my parents did, and his mouth was so yummy!

    99. I can be am brutally honest and blunt at times.

    100. I’m a big Whippet: Hard on the outside but really mushy soft and sweet on the inside.
There! Now you should have a better idea of who I am.
___

Photo: 100 things

21 comments:

PreppyGirl said...

I've always had a belly too.
I too LOVE office supplies.
I have three tattoos.
My dad's a black belt (shito ryu) but I never really got into it. I do like yoga though. I should try karate too.

Your parents sound pretty cool!

Princess's husband just posted a link to a pretty gory website. He's on Galoot's blog roll (emt/living room DJ link) Check it out.

stinkypaw said...

Found pictures of me at 1 and there's the belly! No matter how much I trained it never left!
What are your tattoos & where?
I did Kyokushin, and maybe with your kids, that could be fun. I've tried yogo, liked the stretching part but it was a bit too "soft" for me... Really enjoyed Power Yogo.

My dad was the type to try new tings, and he passed that on. My mom is more of a follower for certain things, but both were great parents.

That site is sick!!! But I looked at all the posting - I know, I'm a sick puppy!

PreppyGirl said...

Well, I'm an Irish lass so all three are Irish. I have a claddagh on my lower left back (arguably, my butt), a four leaf clover lower right tummy and a nice celtic knot on my inside left ankle (that's the one everyone gets to see). I really like them. I may be an old granny with saggy tattoos one day, but I can live with that (The clover already has a stretch mark through the middle of it from the prego days).
My dad has the japanese symbol for eternity on his left shoulder and I love how it looks. I don't know that I'd ever get another one, but I wouldn't totally rule it out.

stinkypaw said...

I've been thinking about getting another one, an Hawaiian symbol, I just need to decide what exactly and where. When I got my first one, the tattoo artist had said "You know you won't be able to stop at one", and I thought he was being funny... Little did I know that he was right!

When I got the wildcat, my friend (who came with me for support and because she wanted to see me squirmed!) said "You know when you'll get old and your ass gets loose, your wildcat will look like an toothless cat"... and I think of that every so often... but I'm not there... yet!

BTW, do you want to send me an e-mail (wanted to send you something and didn't see it on your blog) - thanks!

don't call me MA'AM said...

Wow... can't imagine how scary the holdups at the store would be. *shudder*

Cool list. I've yet to do one... I should probably get started on that, huh.

stinkypaw said...

dcmm: yeah, those 2 were scary. My mom was never the same after she shot that guy... understandably so and since nobody with a hood can come in the house.

It took me a while to complete it, I was stuck half-way... couldn't think of things to write or more which to write about!

shpprgrl said...

This template is gorgeous! I always think the 100 lists are interesting. I don't know if I could come up with 100. Congrats...you did it! Thanks for visiting me!

stinkypaw said...

Thank you shppgrl and welcome to my blog!

I was harder to do than I thought it would be, but I'm glad I did it. I hope you'll come back and visit!

Kala said...

that is the most serious detailed list of a person I've ever seen -wow - very interesting - now I feel like I hung out with you for a day hahaha

Soooo interesting is your life - but your indepth blog on suicide threw me for a loop - I guess I felt like I shouldnt be reading something so personal - so are you going to post a photo of your tattoo? I've thought about getting a tatto - still do, but it has to be something that has real meaning and not for aesthetic appeal - I've taken martial arts when I was little but not anymore - thought about enrolling in Tae Kwan do (sp) - crazy story about your shooting stories at the shop! I guess I could write a list of responses to your list but I will spare you the details!

stinkypaw said...

kala: Thank you about my life being interesting, it is! You probably know more about me reading that list than you would hanging out for an afternoon!

I think that tattoos are very personal and meaningful, or at least they are for me. I've been wanting a "honu" for a while now, so maybe at my next visit in the islands I'll get something. Not sure about posting a picture -that's more your thing! ;-)

You should try Kyokushin, there's a great instructor, Lowe Shihan who gives classes at Kanewai Park! Even considered moving there to get the chance to train with him. If you want more info on him, let me know!

Kala said...

The honu - turtle - a symbol of fertility for some and good luck for others depending on where you are in the polynesian migration route - that would be interesting - the mokapu peninsula is shaped after the honu and thought to be the birth place of yadayada - you must have lived in Hawaii for some time to know Kanewai park - that is near the Uni - I pass by there every day on my bike! ok, what is your real name haha - I might know you and you might know me - that would be strange - find out we were classmates - scary =)

stinkypaw said...

kala: Unfortunately, I've never lived in HI... yet! We've been there a few times, and visited the "real" places, not just Waikiki which isn't truly Hawaii for me, at all!

What is the birth place of yadayada, and what/who is yadayada?

Trust me, we don't know each other, I would remember you! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Back reading this list again....B-B-B-born born born...born to be alive! That should have been in my favorite song list I just posted. I have always LOVED it! I have a 45 that I saved from a shelf at Goodwill! ;)

stinkypaw said...

shopper: Can't resist the urge to sing along whenever I hear it and to butt bance (while sitting down, that is!)!

Anonymous said...

Hey I loved the blog.

I figured you may also like my site on Jujitsu.

It's pretty new and I'm still working on it.

But I will check back and see if you added anything new soon.

GM

Unknown said...

I guess I'm a little late to the party here, but what a bunch of fascinating stuff. Are your parents native Canadians? At first I thought your dad was one of those 'old country' hard-asses after the 'no jeans til you're 18' rule, but getting high with their daughter negated that line of thought. If I may reiterate, you have lead a very interesting life.
:-)

Oh, and I have a dragon on my right bicep.

stinkypaw said...

marius: Thanks, and doing this list made me realise that I did/do have an interesting life, and it's not over!

Both my parents were born here from many generations (haven't been able to trace back some of the ancestors) but some did come from Europe. ON my father's side, his mom was part native. And despite the joint thing he was a real hard-ass, that's for sure!

Pallavi Sharma said...

Found your page through Just Some Grail, where I lurk often after I found her through unmanaswords.blogspot.com. Quite some things we have in common here. Although I haven't had as adventurous a life. Liked your in-your-face frankness. I'm gonna lurk around for a while more :)
Cheers!

stinkypaw said...

simplypallu: Welcome to my world, and thank you for delurking! Please do come back!

SICKITTEN said...

I think I love you.

stinkypaw said...

sickitten: awww, thank you!